International Translation Day is celebrated worldwide to pay tribute to the work of language professionals, translators, interpreters, and terminologists, etc. The day plays a very important role in bringing nations to come closer and work together, facilitating dialogue and cooperation, preserving cultural heritage and values, understanding and contributing to world development, and intensifying world peace and security.
When is the International Translation Day?
International Translation Day is celebrated on 30th September every year on the feast of St. Jerome who showed the way of breaking down the language barriers. He is also considered as the patron saint of translators. International Federation of Translators has been working to promote the celebrations ever since it was set up in 1953.
International Translation Day 2022 Theme
International Translation Day 2022 theme is “Translation and Indigenous Languages”. By focusing on the indigenous languages, the day reduces the danger of language disappearing. Protecting and preserving the languages of millions of indigenous people all over the world is very important as different languages for different indigenous people are a fundamental part of their culture.
International Translation Day 2022
Sharing new and exhilarating information, cultural values and bringing people together have become possible and easier because of the initiative of International Translation Day. The idea of this day helps in moving words and ideas throughout the linguistic and national borders, allowing worldwide readers to understand all types of literature of different countries, and nurturing internationalism.
Celebrate International Translation Day
People all over the world celebrate International Translation Day with great enthusiasm to elevate awareness about the translation and interpretation profession. On the occasion of this day, there is a holiday in many countries and it has been in existence since 1953. The General Assembly took on a resolution 71/288 to announce 30th September as International Translation Day on 24 May 2022 considering the role of translation professionals in connecting people and nations and promoting world peace as well.
International Translation Day 2022 Wishes
Below are my wishes for all translators around the globe:
- Better paying customers (obviously :D)
- More jobs (show me the money!)
- More sleep (Can I get an Amen?)
- Less fatigue (who else has Panda eyes?)
- More appreciation (how nice would it be?)
- More vacations (Ah, the dream!)
- Fewer crazy requests (like translating 50 pages overnight)
- Fairer translation agency rates (this is a universal request)
- More of your favorite or most enjoyable translation jobs (it feels great to get paid for doing something you love!)
- An overall more successful career.
Happy International Translation Day!
International Translation Day 2022 Quote
1. “Translation is not a matter of words only: it is a matter of making intelligible a whole culture.” – Anthony Burgess
2. “To have another language is to possess a second soul.” – Charlemagne
3. “Translation is that which transforms everything so that nothing changes.” – Gunter Grass
4. “If the translator does his job as he should, he is a benefactor of humanity; otherwise, he is a veritable public enemy.” – Miguel Sanz
5. “Words travel worlds. Translators do the driving”. – Anna Rusconi
6. “Without translation, we would be living in provinces bordering on silence.” – George Steiner
7. “A translator is a reader, an interpreter and a creator all in one.” – Bijay Kumar Das
8. “It is neither the best nor the worst things in a book that defy translation”. – Friedrich Nietzsche
9. “Translating is producing analogous effects with different implements.” – Paul Valery
10. “The ideal reader is a translator. He or she can pull a text to pieces, remove its skin, cut it to the bone, follow each artery and vein and thence fashion a new living being.” – Alberto Manguel
11. “Translating is always about making sacrifices; however, nothing essential should be sacrificed.” – Enrique Diez-Canedo
12. “If the translator does his job as he should, he is a benefactor of humanity; otherwise he is a veritable public enemy.” – Miguel Saenz
13. “Without translation, I would be limited to the borders of my own country. The translator is my most important ally. He introduces me to the world.” – Italo Calvino
14. “The best thing on translation was said by Cervantes: translation is the other side of a tapestry.” – Leonardo Sciascia
15. “If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.” – Nelson Mandela
16. “The art of translation lies less in knowing the other language than in knowing your own.” – Ned Rorem
17. “A translator ought to endeavor not only to say what his author has said, but to say it as he has said it.” – John Conington
18. “If the dream is a translation of waking life, waking life is also a translation of the dream.” – Rene Magritte
19. “The difference between the right word and the almost right word is really a large matter – it’s the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.” – Mark Twain
20. “Translation is one of the few human activities where the impossible occurs by principle.” – Mariano Antolín Rato
Read more: National Black Dog Day
There is a saying that when a community or a group of people loses its language, it is more likely to lose its culture too. So to protect languages from different countries and different cultures, International Translation Day has a great contribution. So it is a vital responsibility for everyone to keep the endeavor continues to protect the world by protecting languages. We wish you all the best wishes on the occasion of this important day.