More than 17 million people die from heart disease every year. To solve this problem, the World Heart Federation created World Heart Day. This is an event held on September 25th every year.
People around the world can find events that raise awareness of the cardiovascular disease (CVD)—its warning signs, what you can do to combat it, and how to help people around you who may be suffering. So, on September 29th, fight CVD by participating in a World Heart Day event near you.
History of World Heart Day
Every September 29th is World Heart Day, which aims to raise awareness of cardiovascular diseases and how to control them to eliminate their global impact. This international festival was established in cooperation with the World Heart Federation and the World Health Organization. Antoni Bayés de Luna, president of the World Heart Federation from 1997 to 1999, proposed this idea. The first celebration of the annual event was held on September 24, 2000, and until 2011, World Heart Day was held on the last Sunday of September.
Cardiovascular disease is a big cause of death worldwide. It is estimated that 17 million people die from CVD each year. Coronary heart disease or stroke is the main cause of these deaths. A common misconception about CVD is that it affects more people in developed countries who rely on technology and lead a sedentary lifestyle. But more than 80% of deaths occur in middle-income and low-income countries. Fortunately, the main causes of cardiovascular disease are modifiable factors, including lack of exercise, smoking, and poor diet. The economic systems of various countries are also severely affected by cardiovascular disease-treatment costs are high, and untimely treatment leads to reduced productivity and long-term absenteeism.
Learn about World Heart Federation
The World Heart Federation is a non-governmental organization headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland. It was founded in 1972 when it was called the International Society of Cardiology. In 1978, it merged with the International Federation of Cardiology to form the International Society of Cardiology and Federation. The organization was renamed the World Heart Federation in 1998. It is the main representative body of the global cardiovascular community, representing more than 200 heart foundations, scientific groups, civil society, and patient organizations from more than 100 countries.
How to celebrate World Heart Day
The World Heart Federation every year sponsors this international event and announces the theme of the day. Post information and discussions about cardiovascular diseases on forums, TV talk shows, podcasts, posters, and other platforms. Organize walks, fundraising, free health check-ups, concerts, sports events, and other activities to encourage people to pay more attention to their health.
Since World Heart Day aims to attract people’s attention to heart disease and diseases and a series of health problems related to them, it makes sense to raise awareness and improve your own understanding. We recommend taking some time to do some research on heart disease and risk factors. You can then use your online platform and your social group to raise awareness.
There are NGOs and government organizations all over the world participating in this date. They celebrate the day by arranging science fairs, public lectures, exhibitions, fitness classes, walks, and marathons. Some famous buildings, monuments, and landmarks have chosen to turn red on this day to show their support for cardiovascular disease awareness.
If you choose to celebrate this day, it is important to try to pay more attention to your heart health. There are many ways to do this. This includes following a healthy diet, quitting alcohol, smoking, and participating in physical exercise. It is also important to check cholesterol, blood pressure, and heart regularly.
115,000 is the number of times our heartbeats in a day.
2,000 is the number of gallons of blood pumped by the heart every day.
1893 is the year in which the first open-heart surgery occurred.
3,500 is the age in years of an Egyptian mummy in which the earliest-known case of heart disease was identified.
1,200 is the fastest heartbeat per minute — that of the pygmy shrew.
1 pound is the weight of the human heart.
60,000 is the number of miles our blood vessel system can extend to.
1,500 pounds is the weight of a blue whale’s heart.
1.5 gallons is the amount of blood pumped by our heart each minute.
World Heart Day Wishes
Here are some heartfelt World Heart Day wishes:
- “On World Heart Day, let’s pledge to take good care of our hearts and spread awareness about a healthy lifestyle. Wishing you a heart-filled and joyful day!”
- “May your heart beat with joy and good health on this World Heart Day. Take a step towards a healthier life. Your heart deserves the best!”
- “Happy World Heart Day! Let’s celebrate the amazing organ that keeps us alive and make choices that promote a healthier heart. Take care of your heart, and it will take care of you!”
- “Wishing you a happy and healthy World Heart Day! May your heart always be filled with love, laughter, and the goodness of life.”
- “On this World Heart Day, let’s prioritize our heart health and encourage those around us to do the same. A healthy heart is a happy heart!”
- “May your heart continue to beat with strength, vitality, and joy. Happy World Heart Day! Take the steps to keep your heart happy and healthy.”
- “This World Heart Day, let’s raise awareness about cardiovascular health and commit to making heart-healthy choices. Your heart matters, so take good care of it!”
- “Wishing you a World Heart Day filled with love, laughter, and the determination to lead a heart-healthy life. Your heart deserves the best!”
- “On World Heart Day, let’s celebrate the incredible resilience of our hearts and strive to make choices that support a healthy and happy heart. Cheers to good heart health!”
- “Happy World Heart Day! Take a moment to appreciate the hardworking organ that keeps you alive and commit to making heart-healthy choices. Your heart will thank you!”
- “Wishing you a heart that beats with love, joy, and good health on World Heart Day. Prioritize your heart because it’s the engine that keeps your life running smoothly.”
- “May your heart be the happiest and healthiest it has ever been on this World Heart Day. Take steps to nurture your heart, and it will repay you with vitality and well-being.”
- “On World Heart Day, let’s come together to raise awareness about cardiovascular health and encourage everyone to adopt heart-healthy habits. Your heart, your responsibility!”
- “Happy World Heart Day! Cherish the beat that keeps you alive and make choices that contribute to a healthier, happier heart. You deserve the very best!”
“Wishing you a heart that beats strong and steady on this World Heart Day. Let’s commit to a heart-healthy lifestyle for a longer, happier life.”
World Heart Day Messages
There are many different charities and organizations that have done a good job in raising awareness and finding treatments for different heart problems. We believe they will thank you for your donation, whether it is a donation of your time, money, or both! After all, anything you can do can change someone’s life, so don’t underestimate the role you can play.