Every year 21 October people celebrate National Reptile Awareness Day. Not only to celebrate reptile lovers the day also promotes the education, protection, and appreciation of reptiles. This is a day to learn about their natural habitat and the ecological threats they face.
Reptile refers to any amniotic animal that is neither a mammal nor a bird. It is a cold-blooded animal with scales or scales and can lay eggs on land. The scutes are thick bone plates or horny plates that form the dermis of reptiles such as turtles and crocodiles.
History of National Reptile Awareness Day
Although the history of reptiles can be traced back hundreds of millions of years, in contrast, the history of the National Reptile Awareness Day is very short. Furthermore, it was not until the passage of the first Endangered Species Act in 1966 that awareness of the needs and threats faced by reptiles (or any animal, for that matter) began to enter the mainstream of our culture.
With the passage of the bill, the promotion of protection in the middle of this century began to take the lead. Updates were adopted in 1967 and 1969. In addition, in 1967, the Environmental Protection Fund made a historic effort to ban the use of DDT in the United States. Most of this was triggered by Rachel Carson’s seminal book Silent Spring, which documents the adverse effects of pesticides and other chemicals on the environment.
- International Day of the Nacho
- National Reptile Day
- National Pets for Veterans Day
- National Apple Day
Without the efforts of the movement, the National Reptile Awareness Day would not have existed. In fact, without the help of the Endangered Species Act, many reptiles would not exist today. Although the history of the National Reptile Awareness Day may not be long compared to its theme, it is still part of an important historical movement to help protect and protect all animal species.
National Reptile Awareness Day Activities
Donate to the Reptile Conservation Program
There are many different organizations that want to continue to promote our reptile friends to the public. One way they do this is to also advocate our ability to keep reptiles as pets. Donate to your favorite organization to help them continue to be the spokesperson of reptiles.
Visit the national park on National Reptile Awareness Day
By visiting the national park closest to you, you are helping to promote a place dedicated to protecting the natural habitat of all animals (including reptiles, of course) living in the area. Some famous reptile parks are Joshua Tree, Big Bend, and Everglades.
Consumer science is an important part of helping researchers understand where our cold-blooded friends live and their population density. Many recognition applications are created by institutions to help extract this data. If you see lizards or other reptiles, use the app to identify them. This helps scientists understand where certain groups of people live and how they adapt among us. The Audubon Reptile and Amphibian app is a good starting point.
Some Interesting Facts about Reptile
Reptiles are temperature-changing animals.
Reptiles are often described as cold-blooded animals, even if their blood is not cold. Reptiles are thermophilic animals, which means that they cannot regulate their body temperature internally like humans and other mammals.
Reptiles are also the oldest animals on earth.
Many reptiles, including turtles and crocodiles, have lived on our planet for more than 200 million years. Think of them as modern dinosaurs.
The crocodile’s sex depends on the temperature.
When the mother lays eggs, the temperature at which the eggs develop will determine the sex of the baby. Eggs exposed to temperatures of 86°F will become females, and eggs exposed to temperatures above 93°F will become males.
Most snakes are harmless to humans.
Only about 500 species of snakes are poisonous. Among these 500 species, only 30-40 species will harm humans. In addition, there are 200 species of venomous snakes with important medical significance. Fortunately, only six of these poisonous species live in Alabama.
Most reptiles are carnivores.
Most reptiles feed on insects, small animals or other reptiles. In fact, it is well known that crocodiles will prey on smaller crocodiles!
Skin of Reptiles
Reptiles have no sweat or sebaceous glands, so their skin actually remains cool, dry, and waterproof.
Reptiles are also the oldest animals on earth.
Many reptiles, including turtles and crocodiles, have lived on our planet for more than 200 million years.
Most snakes are harmless to humans.
Only about 500 species of snakes are poisonous. Among these 500 species, only 30-40 species will harm humans. In addition, there are 200 species of venomous snakes with important medical significance.
National Reptile Awareness Day Messages
- From this day of Reptile Awareness Day, show some love to these cold blooded yet important animals for our ecosystem. Have an informative Reptile Awareness Day.
- Removal of reptiles from its ecosystem can drastically affect the population of other organisms. On this Reptile Awareness Day, I wish you all the knowledge about reptiles.
- Reptiles serve a critical role both as a predator and prey species. So stop hunting them and spread the importance of these cold blooded creatures. Have a great Reptile Awareness Day.
- A reptile plays an important for controlling the population of insects and rodent control. In a way, they are doing our work. On this Reptile Awareness Day, I hope you are able to understand how important reptile are for our ecosystem.
- The importances of reptiles to humans are less pronounced, but that doesn’t mean they are not significant. Wishing you an enlightened Reptile awareness Day.
- Reptiles such as snakes and crocodiles have always been used a symbol of power and evil. On this Reptile Awareness Day it is time to change that perception.
- I am not advising you adopt every reptile as your pet. Bu you can always provide shelter and food to some of them. Have a great Reptile Awareness Day.
- Reptiles represent some of the oldest living species on this planet and like historical monuments it is high time we start caring for them as well. Wish you all the kind reptile enthusiasts a very happy Reptile Awareness Day.
- On this Reptile Awareness Day, give yourself a chance to know this not yet extinct species. I hope you can understand their importance in our lives.
- Look up on the internet and find out about these cold blooded creatures on this Reptile Awareness Day to know about their significance. Hope you a have a well-informed Reptile Awareness Day.
- Reptiles helps us our environment in many ways. Even the dangerous ones such as snakes and crocs. On this Reptile Awareness Day, I urge you to change the perception towards these significant creatures.
- Every year reptiles can make a significant amount of impact on our overall economy. On this Reptile Awareness Day, the least we can do is change our outlook towards them.
- Reptile is not traditionally an ideal choice for humans to keep them as their pet, yet snakes, lizards and turtles are a choice of pet for thousands of people. Wishing all these amazing individuals a very happy Reptile Awareness Day.
- Reptiles are always perceived as a primitive and dull creature. But to our surprise they can be surprisingly affectionate and spectacularly beautiful. Cheers to a day dedicated towards them.
- To be fair, reptiles are not that different from republicans. So, on this Reptile Awareness Day why not give these sophisticated creatures a chance. Reptiles I meant!
- Can you grow a part of your body after it is being cut off? Well, Reptiles can. If nothing, at least appreciate their superpowers from this Reptile Awareness day.
- Reptiles play a significant role in controlling the overpopulation of fish species in coastal regions. So, on this Reptile Awareness Day, Let us be thankful to all these creatures for whom our aquatic ecosystems are healthy and balanced.
- The creature you have perceived as dangerous has been providing its venom to create vaccines for humans. On this Reptile Awareness Day, I wish you all the consciousness about these creatures.
- If not for reptiles such as snakes and lizards, all the crops and food sources would be left defenseless against smaller and hungry predators. I hope this fact can raise some consciousness.
National Reptile Awareness Day Wishes
♦ Wishing all the reptile enthusiasts a very happy Reptile awareness day.
♦ On this Reptile Awareness, let us hope we, the reptile lovers can raise much-needed awareness amongst the people who have always perceived them as nothing but dangerous.
♦ Reptiles are living creatures and have feelings just as a kitten and a puppy. On this Reptile Awareness Day, I urge you not hate them if you can’t love them.
♦ On this Reptile Awareness Day, I urge all of you shed some caring light towards a reptile which is abused or neglected. Hope you a have a good day.
♦ On this special Reptile Awareness day, best wishes to the people who are working pretty hard to take care of these living beings. Have an amazing Reptile Awareness Day.
♦ Wishing all the authentic and real animal lovers a very happy Reptile Awareness Day.
♦ You all just need to keep calm and keep fighting to save our reptiles. Wish you a great Reptile Awareness Day.
♦ On this Reptile Awareness Day, ask yourself a simple question. When was the last time you saved a reptile from death and starvation? Have a thoughtful Reptile Awareness Day.
♦ By trying to understand wildlife we can help the reptile enthusiasts to save these underappreciated creatures. Hope you have a great Reptile Awareness Day.
♦ The future of the planet concerns all of us and by all of us I meant reptiles as well. Wishing you an educative Reptile Awareness Day.
♦ Just because they don’t look cute that doesn’t mean they can’t feel pain. On this Reptile Awareness Day, I hope you are more caring towards these cold blooded creatures.
♦ Like a reptile such as Turtle, learn to pull your awareness within. I hope this Reptile Awareness Day is able to bring some changes in people’s perspective.
♦ Give yourself a holiday and go to a zoo to see all the beautiful reptiles in this world. I hope you enjoy to the fullest on this Reptile Awareness Day.
♦ There are plenty of pet stores you can visit to look at all those so called dangerous reptiles. Wishing you a joyful Reptile Awareness Day.
♦ On this Reptile Awareness Day, visit the local rescue and familiarize yourself with the critters known for sending out shivers down your body. Have a great Reptile Awareness Day.
Reptile Awareness Day Quotes
“Reptiles and amphibians are sometimes thought of as primitive, dull and dimwitted. In fact, of course, they can be lethally fast, spectacularly beautiful, surprisingly affectionate and very sophisticated.” –David Attenborough
“Remarkable places are like the summits of rocks; eagles and reptiles only can get there.” –Suzanne Curchod
When the reptile is attacked at one mouth of his burrow, he shows himself at another.” –Henry David Thoreau