Every year The Bridge Day is observed on 16 October for those who are adventurous. Bridge Day is not a day to celebrate the beauty of bridge construction around the world. Bridge Day is actually a festival held in Fayetteville, West Virginia, USA. Thousands of adventure lovers watch or participate in various extreme sports, including jumping off the New River Canyon Bridge. Every year on the third weekend of October, approximately 100,000 people arrive in Fayette County to participate in the Bridge Day celebrations.
History of The Bridge Day
Construction of the Xinhexia Bridge started in June 1974. Three years later, on October 22, 1977, the bridge was officially opened to the public. The bridge is the longest single-span arch bridge in the world for 26 years and is now the fifth-longest arch bridge in the world. Since the bridge is 876 feet tall, it naturally attracts adventurers from all over the world. The first person to jump off the bridge was Burton Ervin of Cowen, a coal mine foreman who jumped off the bridge on August 1, 1979, using a traditional parachute.
The first Bridge Day was held at Xinhexia Bridge in 1980, and about 40,000 people participated. Except for the tragic bombings in 2001 after the COVID-19 pandemic on September 11 and 2024 respectively, Bridge Day has been held on the third Saturday of October each year.
Bungee jumping is a major event on Bridge Day. The first confirmed Bridge Day bungee jumping was to jump over Stanley, commonly known as the Blue Bandit, who jumped off the bridge during Bridge Day in 1985. However, bungee jumping is no longer part of the celebration of Bridge Day. It was banned in 1994 because it took a long time to regain bungee jumping.
- World Food Day
- National Boss’s Day
- National Feral Cat Day
- World Anaesthesia Day
- Dictionary Day
- Global Cat Day
Activities on the Bridge Day
Participate in a Chili Cooking Event
Every year, the annual “Bridge Day Pepper Cooking Festival” is held in the historic downtown of Fayetteville, where you can taste the best pepper samples from the region.
Join the Race
There is also an Active SWV Bridge Day 3 mile race, which starts on the bridge and ends in downtown Fayetteville-as you run, you can enjoy the magnificent view of the New River Canyon.
You can buy everything from some of the best and most talented chefs, artisans, and merchants in West Virginia-from intricate miniature woodcarvings to handmade jewelry, fossils, and the most delicious meals, you can bring a little Block West Virginia and go home with you on Bridge Day.
Some Types of Different Bridges
Why The Bridge Day Important
To Show Bravery
We can’t all be jumpers, but there is nothing more moving than watching someone bravely jump off a bridge and float into the water. If not, the excitement around the bridge will remind you of the joy of being alive.
It allows people to take risks safely
We believe that everyone needs to take risks sometimes, but when we make huge leaps in our lives, it is important to have a safety net. Bridge Day understood this almost literally. People who dive for the first time can relax, knowing that the rescue boat is waiting in the water in case any problems arise.
It Refreshes the Boringof Life
Let’s face it life will become boring. Bridge Day reminds us to get rid of the monotony of regular life at least once a year and reminds us that life can be exciting.
Best Quotes for The Bridge Day
1. “If you are good at building bridges, you will never fall into the abyss!” —
– Mehmet Murat Ildan.
2. “Drafting is like painting the Golden Gate Bridge. The closer you get to the end, the more you start to worry about the beginning.”
– Peter James.
3. “Understanding is the bridge between two minds; love is the bridge between two souls.”
– Matshona Dhliwayo.
4. “Men build too many walls and not enough bridges.”
– Joseph Fort Newton.
5. “A bridge of silver wings stretches from the dead ashes of an unforgiving nightmare to the jeweled vision of a life started anew.”
6. “You’ll miss her most when you roam, ’cause you’ll think of her and think of home, the good old Brooklyn Bridge.”
7. “In every conceivable manner, the family is linked to our past, bridge to our future.”
– Alex Haley.
8. “The hardest thing in life to learn is which bridge to cross and which to burn.”
– David Russell.
9. “He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself; for every man has a need to be forgiven.”
– Thomas Fuller.
10. “Rather than focusing on the obstacle in your path, focus on the bridge over the obstacle.”
– Mary Lou Retton.
11. “Passion is the bridge that takes you from pain to change.”
– Frida Kahlo.