National Senior Citizens Day (August 21, 2022) History and Activities
Do you have any elderly person who has a great contribution to your life? Do you want to show your love and appreciate him or her? Yes, National Senior Citizens Day, August 21, is the day to let them know how much you care about them. It’s also a great opportunity to show your gratitude to them.
Today, seniors are still active in our communities. As they have done all for the good of our communities, senior citizens deserve our thanks. Today is an especial day for all senior and junior citizens. They should meet together and share emotions, feeling and experiences between these two deferent generations each other.
HISTORY OF NATIONAL SENIOR CITIZENS DAY
National Senior Citizens Day is celebrated for older people who have dedicated their lives to our society and made a positive impact on people’s lives. Today our health care has changed and productivity increased among our older people. So we should allow them to be more active than ever before. Getting more and better opportunities, many older people start their second-time careers and sometimes amazingly become role models for the younger generation.
The country’s foundation and stable industry are the result of the hard work of our ancestors and deserve our gratitude. President Ronald Reagan has taken the initiative to honor the memory of the elders. In 1988, when he signed Proclamation 5847 and celebrated August 21st as a day of remembrance for the seniors. “Throughout our history, older people have done a lot for our families, communities, and country. This remains true to this day, and it gives us many reasons this year to celebrate a special day in honor of the elderly who mean so much to our land,” said Reagan.
HOW TO OBSERVE NATIONAL SENIOR CITIZENS DAY
Donate To A Nursing/Old Home
You can observe this day by giving needed items or gifts to an old home or nursing home. You can also call your nearest center and ask if they have missed anything. Or just leave them candy, juice boxes, or any other gift. You can really change someone’s life.
Spend time with Senior Family Member
If you have any senior family members such as parents, grandparents, aunts, or uncles, you can visit them and spend some time together. Let them hear the warmth in your voice when you tell them how much you appreciate them. They really seek your love and sympathy.
Today is all about you if are you a senior citizen! Observe this day by treating yourself, spending time with your favorite people, going shopping — doing whatever you like. It’s a perfect day to chill at home with family members.
5 FACTS ABOUT NATIONAL SENIOR CITIZENS DAY
Older women want to live alone. On the other hand, older men prefer living with a spouse. A study says that only 3.6% of senior people who are more than 65 years old live in nursing homes.
Senior Citizens Battle Serious Illnesses
Many senior citizens have to face several complex medical conditions or illnesses like arthritis or a heart disorder. So they need continuous observation and support.
They Are Technologically Advancing
Senior citizens are now the fastest-growing users on many social platforms like tweeter or Facebook.
Young at Heart
15 million senior citizens work as volunteers and are involved with many social welfare works which inspire our young.
Senior Citizen Day Activities
There are many ways to celebrate National Senior Citizen Day and honor the seniors in your family and your community. Today here I am going to share some ideas for activities that will show your appreciation to senior citizens on their special day.
- Spend time with senior family members or friends by taking them to a favorite restaurant, movie, or another place they enjoy.
- Make a video of an interview with a senior family member. You will learn a lot about their life story and have it to share with other family members.
- Volunteer your time at a nursing home or an assisted living facility. Many seniors would love to have someone to have lunch with them, sit and chat or read them a favorite book.
- Cook a delicious meal, deliver it in person, and share the special dinner together.
- Prepare several home-cooked meals for a senior in your neighborhood. Package them in freezer containers with directions on how to reheat them.
- If you have a senior in your neighborhood, offer a helping hand by doing yard work, mowing his lawn, or washing his car.
- Bake some cookies and bring them to seniors in your community.
- Send a greeting card or an e-card to your favorite senior.
- If your community is hosting a special event or festival for National Senior
We should not forget that we have to become old as growing old is a natural process. Today what we do for our seniors we can also expect that we will be treated the same way by the law of nature. If we fulfill our duty to them and make a happy peaceful environment then next time we will be treated the same way. National Senior Citizens Day.