National Singles Day 2022: Date, History, Celebration, Activities
The National Singles Day celebrated on September 22 each year, is a holiday that honors people who make up nearly half of the American population: singles. On this day, people can celebrate achievements and realize that they are as important to society as married couples. After all, statistics show that single people are more likely to deal with sick or elderly parents or to conduct charitable activities in the community.
History of the National Singles Day
The National Singles Day was activated in the 1980s when it was first observed in Columbus, Ohio. It was created by the Buckeye Singles Council but celebrated on a different day than today. Another study says that Singles’ Day or Bachelor’s Day is originated in 1993 at Nanjing University. There are several ideas to explain the creation of Singles’ Day. The most widely accepted view is that this holiday originated from the dormitory culture of Nanjing University. One origin story is that in 1993, four male students living in the dormitory of a famous thatched house at Nanjing University discussed how to get rid of the monotony of being single, and agreed that November 11 would be a day of celebrations and celebrations. These activities spread in universities and eventually entered the wider society.
With the use of social media and spreading, the event has become more and more popular in contemporary Chinese culture and society. Singles Day has been popularized through the Internet, and there are now celebrations in several places outside of China and even now in the USA.
- National Ice Cream Cone Day
- Fall Equinox
- American Business Women’s Day
- Hobbit Day
- National Elephant Appreciation Day
- National White Chocolate Day
Observance of The National Singles Day
Singles’ Day is a place for singles to meet and organize gatherings. This festival was originally celebrated only by young people, so the original name was Bachelor’s Day. However, it is now widely celebrated by both men and women. Blind date parties are very popular on this day, trying to change the single status of the participants. Some universities have organized special programs to bring singles together to celebrate. As college students, singles may adopt an angry or self-deprecating attitude to cope with staying single, but the university’s actions can help curb this negative emotion.
Read more: National Singles Day Wishes, Messages, Quotes
As a growing part of our society, please celebrate the singles in your life. Make room for them in your plan, and if you are one of them, be part of the growing number of singles. Other ways to participate:
- Organize or participate in events for singles near you.
- Share your experience as an independent single.
- Invite other singles to join your trip or nightlife.
- Find out the reasons why being single is right for you.
- Join a social group of singles.
Whether you are wearing it as a badge of honor or looking to change your single life, you can join the celebration. Use #NationalSinglesDay to share on social media.
Some Advantages of Single Life You Should Know
- Being single gives you a higher degree of freedom
- You are more flexible than when you are in love
- You can follow your passion
- Being single makes you work hard
- Sleep quality can be higher
- The stress level may be low
- No need to take care of your partner’s problems
- Staying with a partner for a lifetime is not in line with human nature
- Being single allows you to travel
- You can save money by being single instead of being in love
- In any case, many people are unhappy in relationships
- Your character can grow
- People take more care of themselves when they are single
8 Famous Personalities Who Chose To Stay Single
- Oprah Winfrey (is a talk show host, media executive, actress but leads a single life.)
- Queen Elizabeth I (Elizabeth I was Queen of England and Ireland from November 17, 1558, to his death in 1603 but lead a single life.)
- The Wright Brothers (The Wright brothers-Orville and Wilbur were two American aviation pioneers who invented, built, and piloted the world’s first successful maneuvering aircraft but lead a single life.)
- Isaac Newton (is a British mathematician, physicist, astronomer, widely regarded as the greatest mathematician but lead a single life.)
- Nikola Tesla (a Serbian-American inventor)
- Florence Nightingale (an English social reformer and the founder of modern nursing but lead a single life.)
- Jane Austen (an English novelist known primarily for her six major novels, but lead a single life.)
- Condoleezza Rice (is an American diplomat, political scientist, civil servant but lead a single life.)
National Singles Day promotes a different lifestyle. The day upholds the beauty and advantage of remaining single. Though there may have arguments about remaining single. But it is totally your personal choice and decision.