English Language Day was celebrated on 13 October to commemorate the day when Parliament opened its first speech in English instead of French in 1362. This day also celebrates the universality of language and how it has evolved over the centuries. Scholars believe that there is no real language version because more than 7,000 English variants can be found in the world. English has also absorbed many words from other languages. In addition to speech, English has also become the main language of movies and TV shows, literature, and music.
Significance of English Language Day
English was first discovered in the origins of medieval England and named after Anglo. Then the Anglians were a West Germanic tribe, they found their way to England, and their name came from the Anglia peninsula extending to the Baltic Sea. Then it was argued that English is no longer its own language, but a mixture of every language it comes into contact with.
English has become a dominant language and a powerful tool for communication between different cultures and parts of the world. With the passage of time, the number of English language speakers has increased. However, English is also considered to be one of the most complex languages as a second language. Therefore, English Language Day is celebrated because of its history, future, and particularity.
- National No Bra Day
- US Navy Birthday
- National M&M Day
- National Transfer Money to Your Son Day
- Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day
History of English Language Day
English is a broad language. There are more than 250,000 words in the Oxford dictionary-minus a lot of technical, scientific, and slang words. English may be the only language. Many of its words have as many synonyms, mainly because of its huge absorptive capacity-borrowing words from as many languages as possible, including German, Greek, Portuguese, French, Latin, and even colonies where it became common. Years of colonialism meant that English now also has vocabulary from Asian, Caribbean, and African cultures. English has always been eager to adopt and adapt words and phrases from other languages. The willingness to adapt may be what makes English so different from other languages (such as French).
On October 13, 1362, the British Parliament opened for the first time in English instead of Latin or Norman French. This is why the English Project Charity promoted October 13th as English Language Day. Their goal is to celebrate English as a living, evolving language used by 2 billion people around the world as the first or second language. This year’s theme is Indian English, a rich and fast-developing English.
Some Reasons why English is Very Popular
- This is an international language.
- This is the language of academia.
- It gives you access to a wealth of online and print written media.
- It comes in handy when traveling.
- This is essential if you want to engage in international business or commercial work.
- This is the language of Hollywood.
Some Interesting Fact of English Language
• Any sentence that has all 26 letters of the alphabet is named as “pangram”.
• There is a sentence “The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog” and which contains all 26 letters of the alphabet.
• It is considered that “I am.” is the very smallest English sentence.
• Shakespeare included many English words and enriched English vocabulary.
• The first English dictionary was composed in 1755.
• It is noticeable that maximum English words begin with the letter “s”.
• The combination “ough” can be pronounced in 10 different ways.
• You can spell up to 1000 numbers without using the letter “a”.
English Language Day Quotes
- English is flexible. You can jam it into a Cuisinart for an hour, remove it, and meaning will still emerge – Douglas Coupland
- Language is the road map of a culture. It tells you where its people come from and where they are going – Rita Mae Brown
- English is the language of a people who have probably earned their reputation for perfidy and hypocrisy because their language itself is so flexible – Paul Scott
- I admire people who dare to take the language, English and understand it and understand the melody – Maya Angelou
- “A different language is a different vision of life.”- Federico Fellini
“The limits of my language mean the limits of my world.”- Ludwig Wittgenstein
“One language sets you in a corridor for life. Two languages open every door along the way.”- Frank Smith
“Language is the road map of a culture. It tells you where its people come from and where they are going.”- Rita Mae Brown
“He who knows no foreign languages knows nothing of his own.”- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
“You can never understand one language until you understand at least two.”- Geoffrey Willans
“If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his own language, that goes to his heart.”- Nelson Mandela
“To have another language is to possess a second soul.”- Charlemagne
“Change your language and you change your thoughts.”- Karl Albrecht
“Learning another language is not only learning different words for the same things, but learning another way to think about things.”- Flora Lewis
“Knowledge of languages is the doorway to wisdom.”- Roger Bacon
“Language is the blood of the soul into which thoughts run and out of which they grow.” – Oliver Wendell Holmes
“The best way to predict the future is to create it.” – Abraham Lincoln
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”– C.S.Lewis
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” – Gandhi
“Learning is not a spectator sport.” – D. Blocher
“There is no substitute for hard work.”– Thomas Edison
“Do the difficult things while they are easy and do the great things while they are small. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” – Lao Tz
“Today a reader, tomorrow a leader.”– Margaret Fuller
“Learning is like rowing upstream, not to advance is to drop back.” – Chinese Proverb
“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.” – Mark Twain
English is flexible: you can jam it into a Cuisinart for an hour, remove it, and meaning will still emerge. -Douglas Coupland
English is the language of a people who have probably earned their reputation for perfidy and hypocrisy because their language itself is so flexible -Paul Scott
English Language Day messages
– This day is celebrated on 23rd April to mark the birthday and death day of famous writer William Shakespeare.
– This day is recognized by the UN to promote multilingualism and make people know the importance of this language.
– This day focuses on raising awareness about the history and culture of how we started speaking English and how it became an internationally accepted language.
– This day is also celebrated in schools to give the children the basic knowledge about their first language.
– To commemorate this day, one can read novels or poems.
– One can also learn new words, know the importance of where they can be used.
A person can also conduct teaching slum children the English language and make them see this language’s value.
– This language is essential in every perspective. If a person travels abroad, they have to communicate with others either in their native language or a common language that is accepted worldwide.
– If we celebrate a language, then it’s a kind of honor to the language and the artistic history.
– Language plays an essential role in the communication world and even the cultural world. It’ sIt’s not just that only Americans and Britishers have the right to speak this language.
– Many people believe that speaking English is a show-off. But they don’t understand the importance of this language.
-English is considered a common language all around the world. So learning it is very much essential.
– English language is critical from a job point of view, communication, etc.
– Everyone knows who William Shakespeare was and why 23rd April is selected to celebrate this day.
– On this day, many schools also prepare plays written by William Shakespeare to raise awareness of this culture.
– We have American English and British English. The only difference is in the pronunciation.
– There are many facts about the English language that many of us don’t know.
– There are many ways a person can improve their English skills. One can read novels, watch English series, listen to English songs, learn a new word every day.
– English is a language that has a historical background, and it’s interesting.
– English is the first language to be preferred worldwide. One cannot proceed in their professional career if they are not fluent in this language.
– If you teach someone a language, this may help them in the future, and maybe they will excel just because of your one step.
– English is always fun learning a language.
– English poems are way more interesting as it covers the history and the rhyming is so good.
– Contribution of William Shakespeare to English literature is always honored and praised. The plays have ever given a different meaning, which is very interesting.
– We have so many famous writers who have contributed a lot to English literature.
English Language Day Wishes
-You can never be too old to establish a new goal or imagine a new fantasy.
-Many people believe that learning a language is easier while you are young, however there are benefits to learning languages as an adult.
-Live your life as though you were going to die tomorrow. Learn as though you were going to live for the rest of your life.
-Enjoy the time, but keep in mind that studying English will help you prepare for the future.
-It’s not a sport to watch when it comes to learning.
-Get active and study as much as possible if you want to perfect English.
-Learning a language is difficult, so plan ahead, put in the hours, and you will succeed.
-Let’s start practising today if you want to be a fluent English speaker – happy English language day.
-Understand how the English language may link you to the rest of the world – let’s commemorate English Language Day.
-Learning English and becoming a proficient speaker is fun — wishing a very happy English language day.
-Language is more than just a means of communication; it also represents our character. -Keep studying and speaking English – have a good English language day.
-The English language adds a new perspective to life; learn English to improve your culture.
-Learning English language can help you get on the road to success – wishing you a good English language day.
-Learning English is a wonderful experience; enjoyment begins with the acquisition of this new talent.
-Become a better communicator by learning English and allowing your heart to speak for itself.
-English language education is a fantastic chance – it gives life a new hue – happy English language day.
-Lead life with unlimited English knowledge – be appreciated – have a pleasant English language day.
-Learning English is the basis of paradise; let’s add some zing to our studies.
English Language Day Status
-Increase your communication ability by speaking English fluently – have a nice English language day.
-Learning English opens up new possibilities in life – happy greetings on English language day.
-Speak English as if it were a precious gem — wishing you a wonderful English day.
-Understand the beauty of the English language – you will be amazed – happy English language day.
-Studying a new language opens up new perspectives in life – keep learning English – and have a nice English language day.
-Learn English to unlock your hidden abilities — let’s get started.
-The ideal approach to commemorate English Language Day would be to learn something new about this widely spoken language.
-On the occasion of English Language Day, best wishes.
-I would like to wish everyone a happy English Language Day.
-This is one of the most widely spoken languages on the planet. A happy English Language Day.
-To you, my love, I wish you a happy English Language Day. Utilize this day to learn new things.
-May you use this day to read some English novels that you haven’t read before.
-Let us make the most of English Language Day by viewing English-language movies or reading English-language literature. Happy International English Language Day!
-Let us make the most of English Language Day by emphasizing the significance of the day.
-I wish you a happy English Language Day. Let us commemorate this day by reading some of the most popular English stories and poetry from throughout the world.
-There is so much English-language stuff to watch and read that one English Language Day is insufficient to consume it all. Happy International English Language Day!
-To everyone, warm greetings on the occasion of English Language Day. Knowing and learning English is always beneficial since it links the globe.
-Let us commemorate English Language Day by honoring the language while also commemorating one of the greatest authors of all time.
-Happy International English Language Day! Let’s celebrate the greatest English author.
-The birth anniversary of William Shakespeare adds to the celebration of English Language Day.
-The more you read, the more you will learn, and the more you learn, more the countries you will see.
– English Education is something that no one can take that away from you.
– English Education is the key to opening the golden door to liberty.
-The goal of English education is to replace a closed mind with just an open one.
-English Education is what stays after you’ve forgotten all you learned in school.
-English Education is not a means of preparing for life; it is life itself.
-The goal of education is to gain knowledge of values rather than facts.
-It is not necessary to learn… Survival isn’t one of them.
-Our English language gives us our identity, and we should be proud of it at all times.
-International English Language Day serves as a reminder to us all that mother language has a unique quality that makes it so wonderful. Warm greetings on this special day.
-Language may be only a means of communicating with one another, but English language is what binds us to our culture.
-I would like to wish everyone a happy International English Language Day.
-International English Language Day should be observed with zeal since every language is deserving of great respect.
Happy English Language Day Captions
-We may acquire a variety of different languages, but there is no other language like English language. #language
– I wish you a happy International English Language Day. Warm greetings on this special day.#english
-We should be aware of the importance of English Language, which is why we should celebrate International English Language Day with zeal. #englishlanguage
-English language has a unique quality that distinguishes it from other languages. I would like to wish you a very happy International #EnglishLanguageDay.
-To make this a lovely International English Language Day, let us gather together and offer our English language the much-deserved respect and attention it deserves. #loveenglish
– English Language is described as a means of self-expression, and your English language is a language that binds us together. #respectenglish
-I don’t think English will ever be able to radiate the enchantment of emotions that our native tongue can. #respect
– Wishing you and your family a happy English Language Day. May you have a wonderful day filled with peace and joy. #celebrateenglishlanguage
– This day is observed to recognize the significance of English anguage. I hope you everyone enjoy this day in your own unique way. #fun
– This day is notable since it is William Shakespeare’s birthday. #shakespeare
– This day’s greetings. May you all find a variety of poetry and stories to commemorate this special day. #englishisimportant
– Because English is widely used around the world, it has been designated as an international official language. #loveenglish
-There is a different importance to commemorating this day. It’s a sort of homage to our illustrious author and a salute to this language. #english
– English Language Day is commemorated to raise awareness of the significance of this #language.
-Despite having learned a variety of languages, I am most at ease in my own tongue. #Happy EnglishLanguage Dayeveryone!
English is an enriched language. It has a long history. Many artistic literary works have been done in this language. Let celebrate the day in the proper way. You will be surprised to find that so many common English words actually originated in different languages. Try to recognize these words and learn more about their origins on English Language Day.