National Neighbor Day 2022: History, Quotes, Ideas, Wishes, Messages
Every year the National Neighbor Day is celebrated on September 28th and it provides an opportunity for neighbors to get to know each other better. This day recognizes and celebrates the importance of good neighbors. It is a blessing to have a good neighbor, but being a good neighbor is even more important. Good neighbors often become friends. They take care of each other, extend a helping hand, and provide advice when asked. Neighbors provide financial help when we are poor, collect our mail when we are on vacation, take care of our home, and sometimes watch our children and our pets. In short, being a good neighbor will make good neighbors and develop lifelong friendships.
History of National Neighbor Day
Previous generations tended to involve their neighbors in many activities. They invite them to parties and dances, ride horses with them, work on their farms, invite them to dinner, and take care of their home when they leave. Nowadays, with busy schedules and technological advancements, we have never really cared or showed interest in the family next door. This is why people have lived next to each other for many years but are still unfamiliar.
In the early 1970s, Becky Mattson celebrated National Neighbor Day for the first time. She wanted to keep in touch with her neighbors in Montana. It officially became a holiday in 1978, when President Jimmy Carter signed a proclamation establishing the holiday. The Senate passed a resolution because people recognized that there is almost no meaningful communication between people and they need to be brought together in order to interact with each other. The Senate believes that human values and consideration of others are essential to a civilized system, and it is the first step in human understanding to decide to be good neighbors with those around you. Therefore, a fixed date is set for Good Neighbor Day. Now, we celebrate National Good Neighbor Day on September 28 and spend special time caring about our neighbors and building or maintaining friendships.
How to Observe National Neighbor Day
- Being a good neighbor is not so difficult. Early with understanding is always the first step.
- Provide a kind word. Even a small compliment can greatly help establish connections or break down barriers.
- Give fruits from your garden or homemade foods.
- Invite them to participate in an informal celebration in your home.
- Introduce them to your pet or provide gardening tips.
- Ask them who they recommend providing services such as taxes, paint, or car care. You will earn their respect, especially if the problem is that they have the first-hand experience.
- Use #GoodNeighborDay to post on social media.
National Neighbor Day is a great opportunity to host a neighborhood block party. Gather a Neighbor group and get ready for the biggest small gathering ever.
Invite them on National Neighbor Day
Spend some excellent face-to-face time with the person closest to you (geographically). You may spend years looking after each other.
Join your local community
Join your local community or apartment association and contribute your time to make the community better. You may make some lifelong friends.
10 Ideas to Increase the Bondage between You and Your Neighbors
You can get along with each other and establish local community connections at any time through the following 10 ways:
1. Smile, wave, and say hello to people nearby, or introduce yourself in the elevator.
2. Celebrate special event days with your neighbors and organize activities such as Easter egg hunts, candlelight carols, or visits to Santa Claus.
3. Take the initiative to take care of your neighbor’s pets or take away their mail when they are away.
4. Share cuttings or extra produce in your garden.
5. Spend more time in the shared common areas of your front yard or apartment building as an easy way to connect with neighbors and people passing by.
6. Put it in the neighbor’s trash can or deliver their newspaper to their front door.
7. When you do it yourself, sweep the sidewalk in front of their house.
8. Put a Christmas card in the neighbor’s mailbox.
9. In the event of a power outage or heatwave, check with neighbors who may be more vulnerable to see if they are well.
10. Share some home-cooked dishes as a welcome to new neighbors or a friendly gesture to neighbors you already know.
Responsibility to Neighbors According to Religions
To celebrate this day share delicious dishes with your neighbors. It may be a homemade meal or ordered food. Invite them or send it to them. You may make fun with your neighbors with games and tournaments. You can water their plants, or babysit their kids. There is a list of responsibilities to neighbors that includes:
- If he asks for your help, you must help him
- If he seeks your relief, give him relief
- If he needs a loan, lend it to him
- Don’t raise your building to block his air without his permission
- Don’t harass him
- Buy fruits to share with him; if you don’t do this, bring the things you bought quietly, don’t let your children take them out to arouse their jealousy.
- When he is sick, you must visit (and take care of) him
- You must attend his funeral when he dies (and participate in the funeral arrangement)
- If he has committed a crime, don’t let him know
- Congratulations, if he meets good luck
- If disaster strikes him, he will feel sad
National Neighbor Day quotes
“People are almost always better than their neighbors think they are.”
― George Eliot
“If you wish to befriend someone, look for a person who loves first God then themselves. If they love God, they will be able to love their neighbor, too.”
― Peter Deunov
“You’ve made this day a special day, by just your being you. There’s no person in the whole world like you, and I like you just the way you are.”
― Fred Rogers
National Neighbor Day Wishes
– It’s a great day, which allows all of us to create a bond with some of our neighbors, and we should try to make the best of this day—wishing everyone a very joyful National Good Neighbor Day.
– It’s a day that presents all of us with an opportunity to know each other better, and we should go on to engage ourselves with more talks on this day.
– Let us all plan for a trip with our neighbors on this day and enjoy as much as possible on this day.
– Good neighbors often go on to become friends, and we all should go on to celebrate friendship on this day.
-Warm wishes to everyone on this day. It’s a day where we should spend most of our time enjoying ourselves with our neighbors.
-Hoping everyone is having a great day with all their neighbors—good wishes to everyone on this day.
– We should all look to create that special bond with all our neighbors on this day. Hoping everything goes well on this day.
National Neighbor Day Messages
– Neighbors are essential, and they do play a significant role in each of our lives.
– This day provides all of us with a golden opportunity to improve our bond with our neighbors, and we should make the best use of this day.
– Neighbor is someone who would always help us when it is needed. This day is the only day where we should be thankful to our neighbors.
– Good neighbors are good friends, and this is the day where we all should go on to celebrate friendship.
-This day undoubtedly provides all of us with a lot of positive vibes, and we should try our best to make our bond better and stronger with all our neighbors on this day.
– I’m so blessed to have neighbours like mine. They are the definition of “good neighbours”.
– Good neighbor is undoubtedly a blessing for all of us, but we all should also try to be good neighbors to maintain a healthy bond.
– Neighbors do play a critical role in each of our lives. This day provides all of us with a golden opportunity to form a good bond with all our neighbors.
– Since it’s a holiday, we can even plan for a small house party with all our neighbors to make our bond strong and go on to enjoy this very good day.
– Social media promotion of this day would surely make this day more popular, and it would surely make more impact on the people.
For those who like and respect each other, it is more peaceful to live between neighbors, especially when they are very close. Respected neighbors do not invade your space, make loud noises. Good neighbors will make your entire daily life stress-free. Good neighbors will pay attention to each other and their property. So we need always good neighbors.