The 28th of August is Cherry Turnover Day. The day celebrates the delicious, crunchy, buttery pastry with soft, sweet cherry filling on the inside. National Cherry Turnover Day has been created in order to honor this sweet and tasty handmade pie. These pastries, which are filled with delicious cherries, are best served hot.
National Cherry Turnover Day Activities
- Try making some cherry turnovers from scratch;
- buy some at your local bakery and take them into work to share;
- buy some frozen ones from your supermarket and cook them up at home;
- treat yourself to one at coffee break.
History of National Cherry Turnover Day
It’s hard to say when the Turnover first came into existence, but we do know that the first recorded instance of them was in 1440 in response to an edict preventing bakers from making cakes, so they resorted to making pies of all kinds, and this, in turn, led to the creation of the turnover by incorporating a filo pastry-like substance previously invented by the Romans. From there they’ve never gone out of style, and in fact now are incredibly popular in roadside diners and family restaurants. Cherry Turnover celebrates the best of these and encourages us all to indulge!
Cherry Turnovers recipe
- Frozen pastry sheets
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp cold water
- 1 large egg, beaten
In a medium saucepan set over medium-low heat, combine cherry pie filling, sugar, and lemon juice. Cover and cook 5 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water. Stir to dissolve. Stir cornstarch mixture into cherry pie filling mixture and cook for 30 minutes. Chill 20 minutes. Meanwhile preheat oven to 375*F.
Brush the tops of the turnovers with the beaten egg and sprinkle with course sugar. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until turnovers are golden brown.
Happy National Cherry Turnover Day Messages
– Make your version cherry turnovers to kick this August and celebrate “National Cherry Turnover Day.”
– It’s officially August, and hence “National Cherry Turnover Day” is on the doors, decide and make your own delicious cheery pie filling and take your creativity to the Next Level.
– Bring out your very favorite guests this August and serve the very delicious Cherry Turnovers for breakfast or dessert- it’s a win either way.
– What could be better on than cherries soaked in smoky and drizzling baked bourbon. Cheers to the weekend.
– Satisfy your sweet tooth and feel honored to be a part of terrific Cherry or berry. Make a phenomenon visit to your parents since it’s officially 28th August and time to celebrate “National Cherry Turnover Day.”
– Fulfill your cravings with ultra-scrumptious deserts topped with cherries this August.
– Let’s enjoy the best of 365 days; celebrate today by having some cherries on sweets.
– Present the loved ones with little treats as little pockets of happiness. I wish you guys a very hearty National Cherry Turnover Day.
– Fulfill your temptation this August by making your hand pies while cherries are still in season and make this Cherry turnover Day worth it.
– Call yourself the Cherry Puffs this hot dog month [August] by making puffy pastry dozed with extra cheese and candy.
– Let’s the gloominess be taken over by the sweetness and deliciousness of candies and pies—cheers to the different flavors of life.
National Cherry Turnover Day Wishes
– May this August be filled with an abundance of happiness, just like a bowl of cherries.
– Let’s spread the fragrance of life around you by giving cherry pies to people around you.
– Let the happiness surround you just as the flavorsome layer surrounds the cherry pie. Happy National Cherry Turnout Day.
– This August, let’s spread the flavors of life by having a flavourful cherry pie. Happy National Cherry Turnout Day.
– Life is a full container of cherries. Some are delicious, while others are sour but full of mystery.
– This August, use your innovative mind and create your kind cherry pie full of flavors and deliciousness.
– May this August be filled with full candies, bonbon, lollies, and delicious cakes and pies filled with cherries. Happy National Cherry Turnout Day.
– May your life gets filled with sweetness, just like pies filled with cherries.
National Cherry Turnover Day quotes
“It was silly but incredibly sweet, these people spending so much energy trying to figure me out. The answer: I don’t like cherries.”
― Gillian Flynn
“Taste the cherries now while they’re ripe because later is always too late.”
― Marty Rubin
“Your life should always come with hot fudge, whipped cream, and a cherry on top.”
― A.D. Posey